Kids made sick by cannabis edibles

Published on August 13, 2020 by oz. staff

We’ve said it before and we’ll say it again: keep your weed away from your kids, folks.

More than a dozen kids got more than they bargained for since legalization in October 2018. Health Canada said there have been 15 cases of children under the age of 12 who have had serious adverse reactions after ingesting edibles.

The federal department overseeing cannabis is reminding people to keep cannabis drinks, chocolates, gummies, etc. away from their kids. In many cases, children accidentally ate illegal edibles that looked like regular candy or other foods and were stored in places kids could easily access, like refrigerators and freezers.

The serious adverse reactions have included hospitalization and incapacitation. The department does not report any deaths associated with the issue.

It is warning people not to store cannabis products where children can find them, and to buy only legal products that are required to have child-resistant and plain packaging that does not appeal to youngsters.

— with files from the Canadian Press